Saturday, June 07, 2008

10K Torture Trail

Start- 82* Humid - Finish - 85* humid

I went in to this race knowing I couldn't do the 7:20 "Derek-A goal" given race pace but tried my best. This course it tough with the first mile flat to downhill. The next 1.5 miles is mostly uphill. Then alot of major rolling hills before a .8 uphill in mile 6 and then flat to the end. I was running about where I thought I would be going for "Derek- B goal" of 47:30. I kinda of lost it in mile 4 and walked up a couple of hills but was ok to push on from there. We were coming up on the 5 mile mark and I passed a wheel chair racer on an up hill and cheered him on. On the corresponding down hill side he passed me and headed in to the sharp left hand turn. A complete wipe out!! I heard 2 people behind me say "Should we stop?" My response was "If you have to ask then don't!!!!" Me and 3 other guys stopped and checked on the racer and stayed with him for 3-4 minutes until he caught his breath and assured us he was ok. We helped him back in his chair and then started up again. I guess I forgot to hit my split with everything going on. The rest of the race was kind of a jog to just get done.

Mile Time
1 7:20
2 8:10
3 8:09
4 8:45
5
6 17:55
.@ 1:45
Total 52:05

I think I would have been closer to 48-49 had I not stopped but I am glad I did. I saw the racer after the race and took him some gatorade and checked on him. He (and his wfe and two sons) were very appreciative. Five years ago I would have been so involved in my race time I would haven't stopped but at this point in my "racing career" it is more important to help people than to run a faster time.


There will be other races to push hard and hopefully I will get that faster time next time.

5 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger skousend said...

Wow! Exciting race Alan. Any idea what your 5K split was? There was some good racing in there and, more importantly some of that "giving back" that you do so well at. Your unique combination of competitiveness and charity is why so many of us, all across the country, would be proud to run with you any day!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Thanks Derek. I was right over 24 at the 5K split.
Hope your 22 mile run went well yesterday.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

Alan... you rock!!!

I love your response to the other racers who questioned whether or not they should stop to help. It was right on!

I wish there were more racers out there like you. I think too many "Joe Runners" forget that for the average "Joe Runner", there isn't a paycheck at the finish line. So many people switch into 'runner' mode and forget to be compassionate human beings. Hopefully your act made those few who questioned whether to stop or not, take a good look at 'why' they were there in the first place.

Again... you rock!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger 1L said...

Alan - you are a true gentleman. Of course, I knew that. There as always other races.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Rick said...

That's still a good time even after being the Good Samaritan that you are, Alan. Well done on both counts - the race and the racer assistance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home