Thursday, May 15, 2008

Man- messed up on my speed work session this morning. I was going to copy last weeks work out of 6 miles with 4X800M repeats.

Got up at 4:50 a.m. and went to the track. I started my work out with a 2 mile warm up. Then it came time to get on the track and do the repeats. I took off and got around to the 800M area and my beeping didn't go off to tell my I was at 800M. I sped back up thinking maybe the gps was off a little. Once I got under the light I looked and it said I haf .4 miles left. What????? I kept going and when the alarm went off I realized I was at 1 mile. I stopped and checke dmy work out I had programmed in. Some how it got changed to 4X1600M repeats, not 4X800M.

Being a veteran runner, I knew I should just cancel that work out and program a new one..... but also being aveteran runner I thought, "Hey, just do 1600M (1 mile) repeats and see where you are." I took off for mile #2 repeat and finished it. For the next one I couldn't go as hard and really concentrated on running it where I thought I could run a race for 6.2 miles. Afterwards, I ran a 1.1 mile cool down.

Splits:
Mile 1- 7.28
Mile 2- 7.29
Mile 3- 7.48

I maybe could have pushed harder on mile 3 but I am not ready for work outs of that magnitude yet. When I was doing repeat #2 I could feel the lactate acid building in the legs- haven't felt that in a while- it was pretty nice!!

3 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger skousend said...

That was a pretty aggressive run Alan. While it wasn't what you had scheduled I still think you will get a lot out of that one workout. Like running a 5k as a fitness check, the 1mi repeats do a really good job of telling you that you are truly getting the condition back. Good News!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Rick said...

Good consistency there anyway. See, that's why I never get up at the crack of dawn to run, I don't want to screw up a workout by not being able to see my watch/gps. Hah! I can SO justify my slothfulness! Hehe.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Sherry said...

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It's always nice to meet new blogger friends and it looks like you are a veteran runner, so I could probably learn a good deal from reading your blog. :o)

Thanks again for the congrats... I'll definitely be stopping in again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home