Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Today's speed workout.

So I decided that I needed to do more repeats before the race coming up in 3-4 weeks. I was talking Derek (fast running buddy at work) and according to McMillan's running calculator I need to be do 800M repeats in a time of 3:39 - 3:44 according to my "Derek given" goal for the race.

I did 400M repeats for a couple of weeks in April and the first ones were pretty rough but week two of repeats went better- more evenly paces splits. That's one thing I have seemed to do pretty good at - run even splits for repeats or for miles during the run.

This morning I got up at 4:50 and went to the track for a 6 mile run with 4X800M repeats. I almost didn't go because my lazy voice almost talked me out of it.

Anyway- got the track- ran a 2 mile warm up then came the repeats. I took off (relatively speaking) on repeat #1. I thought - "my gosh- this is harder than I remember". Got finished with that one and had a 1 minute recovery. Took off for #2- this one felt better. Another recovery and some water- took off for #3. I am thinking I will skip the 4th one- I am about done. Finish #3 and recover and decide to do the 4th one and just do the best I can. I have no idea what times I am running anyway. After teh 4th repeat I grabbed a quick chug of water and headed out for a two mile recovery.

When I got around to recording my run I had to smile at what I saw.

As I said, my target for the repeats is 3:39 - 3:44. My times for the repeats this morning were:
Repeat 1- 3:40 (7:21 mile avg)
Repeat 2- 3:39 (7:19 mile avg)
Repeat 3- 3:42 (7:26 mile avg)
Repeat 4- 3:44 (7:29 mile avg)

I had no clue I was in that range but I like it!

3 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger skousend said...

Alright! Way to nail the workout! And before 5am too -- amazing. Just think how easy these will be if you were to do them at 9am. :D I am totally impressed with the "get it done" mentality; the results of which are coming through in both your speed and consistency. There are great runners and then there are great runners who don't compromise in the rest of life as well. You're proving to be in that rare and enviable latter category.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Jaye, Runner. said...

Hi Alan!
Here is the link to the marathonguide article I was blogging about: http://www.marathonguide.com/races/BostonMarathonQualifyingRaces.cfm

Happy training!

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger Dane said...

Good range. now go kick ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home