Monday, July 07, 2008

We are back from a 4 day trip to the lake over the 4th of July weekend. I could have used a couple more days up there. Running was kind of hit and miss. I kind of fit it in when I could. Found a new place to run there but didn't run it this time. It is a 1 mile loop around a field that they use as a landing strip for planes in the area. I will hit it next time we are up there probably.
I finished up with 17.5 miles for the week- no where what I had planned. I had to skip my run Sunday when we got back. I was going to do at least 6- wanted 8. We got back and Kathy and Glenn took off for a birthday party that Glenn was invited to. I unloaded everything and changed to go run just as pretty good thunderstorms rolled through the area. We didn't get a lot of rain at my house as they did just south of us but we had a lot of thunder/lightning. I waited for a while and and once it cleared up I was so involved in the men's wimbledon finals that I wasn't about to leave. Kathy and Glenn got home shortly there after so I just scrapped the idea of running. I am not sure I would have been able to run anyway. Out neighbors at the lake have 3 dogs, one of which likes to chase you and jump off the dock after you. It is a big game and he is a great lake dog. Only problem is he gets a little rough sometimes. I took off running one time and dove in and Bear jumped in after me, catching one of his claws on my left calf muscle slicing it pretty deep. I knew it was cut pretty deep as it hurt bad. I got out and checked it out and saw how deep it was but figured I would just clean and bandage it later. We swam and played for a good while longer and when I got out my leg was still bleeding. I cleaned it and bandaged it- still kept bleeding after bandaging. Finally stopped later that night. After looking at it better I think I probably could have used a couple fo stitches, or at least sterile strips to hold it together. It is pretty sore around the cut area- not as bad as it was yesterday. Just jogging down the hall way is still sore but I think I will give it a try either this evening or tomorrow and see if it is too sore to run.

Week review:
Mon- Core work
Tues- 6 miles/ core work
Wed- no run
Thurs- 3 miles
Fri- 3 miles
Sat- 5.5 miles
Sun- no run

Total- 17.5 miles

2 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger skousend said...

Sounds like a pretty good week Alan. Bring on more summer vacation! New running trails, a hole in your leg, Tennis finals, nice. ;) Take care of that leg though. It seems like it could use some time to knit. And you might need to rebuild some blood volume too! :P

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Watch out for that leg.

On a side note, I don't think there str too many things better than an afternoon of rolling thunderstorms when you're on vacation -- so long as you have a good book to read, and don't have a long run on the schedule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home