Monday, March 27, 2006

Knoxville Half Marathon-
Due to an overall lack of training, I decided I was going to make this a training run or slightly faster depending on how I felt. I decided that my overall goal would be 1:45.

We left for Knoxville mid day on Friday and it took forever to get there. Should have been about a 4 hour drive, but with traffic and a slow restaurant, it took just over 6 hours. We found our hotel and headed to dinner and a relaxing night.

Saturday, went to meet friends of ours that live in Knoxville and had breakfast with them, then went to the expo. We wanted to take Glenn to the Zoo, so off we headed. As we were getting close, it started snowing!!! We went on anyway. Only about half of the animals were out but we had a great time.

Saturday night we had dinner with our next door neighbors, who were also in Knoxville for the race.

Sunday- Race day!!
Got up and caught a cab to the race. Kathy and Glenn would come over a little later. I told Kathy that I would be done in 1:45, so stay warm and just come over to see the finish.
It was 32 degrees, but felt a little warmer. I stayed in the host hotel lobby until 10 minutes before the start. Went out, checked my bag, and went right up the start. That was nice.

The race started and we immediately started up a hill. I thought bad thoughts to myself. Then we turned and started down a hill and the thoughts were gone. Knoxville is a hilly town!!
The course is beautiful. We ran through the town, through some very old neighborhoods, through some newer neighborhoods, and along a greeway path, then finished on the 50 yard line of Neyland Stadium which is pretty cool.

There was really on 1 major, major kick your tail hill at the end of mile 7 and into mile 8. Luckily someone had told me about it and I was ready for it when I got there and handled it well.

I was approaching the 13 mile mark and Kathy and Glenn were right beside the course and gave me a shout as I was about to enter the stadium.

I slowed down a little bit goign down the ramp in to the stadium. I didn't want to run 13 miles and then fall .1 from the finish line. As I turned and headed for the finish line, I saw the clock. I went under the clock at 1:45:05, and with a goal of 1:45 I could not have asked for anything else.

I am psyched after this run. I pushed it right to line between racing/training run.

Splits:
1- 8.09
2- 7.35
3- 7.44
4- 8.01
5- 8.02
6- 7.51
7- 7.48
8- 8.05
9- 7.49
10- 8.21
11- 7.57
12- 8.05
13- 7.46
.1- 1.42 (8.32 avg.)

Total time: 1:45:05
Avg.- 8.01

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home