Monday, February 20, 2006

Run the Reagan Half Marathon
As I said in my last post that I really didn't know what I would do in the race. I am kind of indifferent right now on how I feel about the race. I ran some good miles, I really struggled in some miles. I think I went out a little too fast and paid for it in the last few miles.
When I think about race results, I separate them in to 2 groups- how was I mentally and how was I physically.
I thought I might struggle a little physically because of my lack of base going in to my current program and then only a few weeks of running at higher mileage. But, mentally, I was planning on being strong and thought I could push through the physical part. At mile 10, I lost the mental edge on a big hill and walked up the hill, then again in mile 11, and again in mile 12. I think I ran the full last mile.
I started out with Michele and we were at a comfortable pace, but as I was looked at the pace knew it was too fast but both of our HR's were ok. I thought I had slowed the pace for mile 2 but actually sped up- still feeling good. In mile 3, my HR shot up. Slowed a little in mile 4 and got back under control. At mile 5, Michele was running great and I slowed and let her take off to run her race as she was reeling in runners in front of her and I was concerned about the hills on the back side. I also started walking through water stops at this point also.

Turned at the mid point and headed back. My HR was still too high but I figured I only had 6 miles to go so I continued on. Got to mile 10 where there is a long hill. Got about half way up and walked the rest of the way. Another hill somewhere in mile 11/mile 12 and I walked half way up again. At about 12.5 I picked the pace up a little and pushed it to the end.
Under the finish line at 1:43:35.

I really wanted to finish between 1:40:00 and 1:45:00m with a quiet goal of breaking 1:40:00 if it felt like I could. So, over all I hit my goal, ran a strong race, but not happy about the mental breakdown and walk breaks.

Splits:
1- 7.27
2- 7.07
3- 7.02
4- 7.26
5- 7.43
6- 7.34
7- 7.41
8- 7.08
9- 7.12
10- 8.55
11- 8.04
12- 8.04
13- 8.01
.1- 27.31 (6.38 pace)

Total- 1:43:35
Avg- 7.55

2 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Alan .... proud of you!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Nels Nelson said...

Good effort considering the previous two weeks'of (non)running, Alan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home