Monday, March 26, 2007

ING Georgia Marathon
As stated through the last few weeks my first 9 weeks of training were flawless then injuiries and illness dominated the last 9. I did get in a couple of quality weeks so I thought if I ran a smart race maybe I could perform like I did in Green Bay last fall.
I picked Len up from the marta station Friday and he stayed with us all weekend. Saturday morning Len and I got up early and went for a quick 2.2 mile run and then Kathy, Glenn, Len, and I went to Glenn's first race- the ING GEorgia Tot Trot. I should have known from the organization of that things were going to be tough this weekend. After standing in a long, single line to pick up his bib, we went around to the race area. They lined the 4 and under group up for their race and then proceeded to talk for 15 minutes on the loud speaker. It is really a shame because Glenn was so excited to run the race all week- then with all of the stuff going on and then standing amongst all of these people for 15 minutes, he didn't want any part of it. We ran the race (I carried him mostly), then he didn't even want his little medal.
We went to the expo after that and luckily we got there early. It was pretty crowded while we were there and when we walked out the line stretched all the way around the the building and down a block.
We went to Michele's house for a pasta dinner Saturday night. It was great to see everyone: Brian and Nicole, Lori, Barbara and Tim, Mike and Nancy, Judy, Michelle, Michele/John/Shannon.
Sunday Len and I got to the race a little late, checked our stuff, and head for the start. Major crowdedness. We worked up as far as we could but we way in the back. The first 3 miles were very, very crowded and slow- a lot of weaving. The marathoners split off at 3.25 miles so the congestion got a little better. One thing that was not good was we had water just before the split, probably at the 3.1-3.2 mile area, then the water stop at mile 5 was not there- anywhere. They had the signs up saying water just ahead but then nothing. The next water was not unitl just after the 8 mile mark.
I cruised along pretty good until the 20 mile mark where I started cramping really badly in my calfs. I saw Lori and Autumn and thought I might run with them for a bit but I was cramping too bad. I turned on corner and saw a Bakery open. I went running inside and ask for some salt. After a weird look, they filled my palm with salt and off I went. I saw Brian and Nicole just I came out of the Bakery. I tried to run with them but the same thing happened with the cramping but Brian gave me some water wouldn't let me stop. Finally I had to stop. Both legs (calves and quads) locked up so bad that I couldn't even walk for a few minutes. Finally got going again and Brian/Nicole and I kept passing each other back and forth.
At about 22.5 miles Brian/Nicole/Autumn, and Lori yelled at me for a photo so after posing we took off and ran together for a bit- until I started camping again. The rest of the race was basically a walk,shuffle combo (mostly walking). I just wanted to get it over. Finally finished with my slowest time ever- but as we all said after the race- "ok, Georgia's checked off the list."
After the race we all hung out on some steps at Underground and then met up with Michelle when she finished- then it was off to the Varsity for some good greasy post marathon food!
It was great to see everyone again- look forward to the next time!!

2 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Patsy said...

Interesting to read your blog about the marathon. I had a similar experience with cramps starting about the ½ point but they didn’t get unbearable until the 20 mile mark. I think it was that out and back on Freedom Parkway that did it for me – I hate those out and backs! I struggled through to the end but it wasn’t pretty.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shot a bunch of photos, all of which I posted online.

See my blog post for more details.

Tell any other runners you know about this. I shot 1361 images from 7:22 until 10:08 so you may very well be in them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home