Monday, May 08, 2006

Recap of running week beginning 05-01-06:
Mon- No Run
Tues- A.M.- Full body weights; P.M. - 4 miles
Wed- No Run
Thurs- 6.5 miles
Fri- No run
Sat- 6.7 (10K race w/ .5 warm up)
Sun- 4 mile rovery run

Total- 21.2

Overall not a bad week of running. I enjoyed all 4 runs. Legs were a little tight on Tuesday's run from the work out earlier in the day.

I ran the Lake Hartwell Dam Run 10K on Saturday morning. This is the 3rd time I have run this race- in 2003 when I was in great shape, then in 2005 and 2006 when I am in "ok" shape. I actually thought I was in better shape this year than last, but after running the race I am not so sure.
The course starts out on a slight downhill for 1 mile then 2.1 miles of uphill. The last 3.1 is basically flat as most of it is across the Lake Hartwell dam. This race is getting more popular each year even though it is in the 28th year of existence. The 10K had particapants from GA, SC, and NC.
My goal was to run 7:00's - 7:15 's for the race. I started out and was trying to keep it slow. I wasn't really even breathing hard when I crossed the 1 mile mark. Then came the 2.1 miles of gradual uphill. I held it pretty good up the hill. Each year I get to the 3.1 mile turnaround and the course messes with my head. I have just finished coming up a hill but when I turn and head back towards the dam, the first .25-.35 mile feels like I am still going up hill. It is just an optical illusion because of the way the road is cambered but for some reason it messes with my head every year.
Got to the 4 mile mark and walked through the water stop to get some fluids in. Took off again and had slowed a lot- then at 5.8 I walked again. This is 2 years in a row I let the humidity get me in this race and walked in the 2nd half of the race.
Coming around to the finish, there was an 18 year guy that I had been following for a while and after my little walk break I gave it everything I had to catch him. I passed him with .1 left, only for him to pass me back just before we crossed under the clock.

I finished 33rd overall, 7th in my age group.
Splits:
1- 6.50
2- 7.12
3- 15:18
4- mile 3 and 4 together- missed the split
5- 7.40
6- 7.29
.2- 1.25

Total- 45.55


I used my last half marathon time (1:45:05) and this 10K time (45.55) to see get an idea of what I may try for in Green Bay. These 2 times indicate a 3:35 - 3:40 marathon. I was thinking 3:45-3:50, so that is right in line.

I don't really know how to taper for Green Bay. My mileage has not been real high and I don't really feel like I have anyhing to taper from.

1 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger krishmd said...

Seems like despite having erratic training, you're on target for your goals. You may surprise yourself with your relative "undertraining" leaving you fresher

Good Luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home