Monday, January 09, 2012

After running the lowest miles in a year last year since I started running I decided to get back in shape and lose the 40 lbs I have put on. Also, seeing the shape my father had gotten in made me realize I needed to get back to exercising.
My father had a heart attack 14 years ago, a couple of "mini" strokes, and a stroke 2 years ago. Then he developed cancer in his left shoulder/neck area and had radiation and then surgery to remove the muscle and affected area. He fought hard and over came most of the damage from all of that except for the heart. From what I am told the lower chambers of his heart were at 20% (should have been at 60-65%).

I was in Arkansas over the Thanksgiving week and he was hurting pretty badly but still doing some things and was active. Within the next 4 weeks he last nearly 40 lbs, became immobile, and then passed away on 01-02-12. It is still hard to believe that he declined that quickly and is gone.

Even with everything that went on he took care of my mother in law for the last 3-4 years as she was in the beginning stages of Alzhiemers and Parkinsons. Daddy was determined and swore that as long as he could crawl he would keep her at home and take care of her and that is exactly what he did. He had assistance for 4 hours a day but other than that he took care of her. They had plans for their retirement and nothing worked out as they had planned die to the illnesses of both.

I dedicate this year to my father and vow to get back in shape and healthy again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home