Thursday, August 16, 2007

I was reading in Run Strong- Editor Kevin Beck today. There is a section on muscle imbalance. There is a diagram of the leg and the muscles (front view and back). It appears that the one I keep hurting is the Biceps femoris.

In the section he says "Hamstring injuries in distance runners are often the result of poor core-muscle strength........ Along with stretching at appropriate volume and intensity levels, certain strengthening exercises- among them eccentric an dcore-strengthening exercises- can, through stabilization, prevent or alleviate hamstring pain."

I guess I see what I need to start doing on a regular basis. When I was at peak shape I was doing core exercises 3 times a week and stretching daily. I would like to get back in the habit of doing that but normally I do them for a couple of weeks and then forget only to have another long lay off of doing them. It's a bad cycle I wish I didn't do.

6 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan, I agree with the benefits of core training for running. Start working on those abs!

You have any long runs planned for the weekend? Good luck if you do!
-Bob

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger 1L said...

I will second (or third) the benefits of core strengthening. It helped me cure my chronic hamstring issues, and you remember them, I am sure. Swimming has also helped a lot.

Hang in there. I hope to be ready to run with you soon.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Bob and Michele-
I agree with you both. I know what I need to do it's just getting back in to the routine of doing the exercises.

My plans right now are to do 12-13 for a longish run this weekend...

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alan,
Did you get your long run in this weeekend?
-Bob

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Alan said...

No- no long run for me this past weekend.
I will explain when I update the blog.
Thanks for checking in!

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Dane said...

I wish you the best in your recovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home