Monday, March 03, 2008


What a fun weekend!! I was the commissioner for the senior girls basketball league and assistant coach for my nieces basketball team. We finished the season at 10-2, losing two games by 2 points.
We played in the season ending tournament this past week. We had a bye in the first round which put us in the semis. We won our semi final game by 17 points and were playing the #2 seed in the finals. This team had beaten us by 2 points early in the season, then we beat them twice- once by 16 and once by 7.
Saturday's game was awesome. There was never more than a 3 point difference the whole game. It came down to the final second... literally. We were down by 1 and threw the ball away, then stole the ball on the ensuing inbound and tried to score but were fouled as the buzzer sounded.
With 0:00 on the clock, our player went to the free throw line and very soundly, very solidly made the first free throw- we were tied. Then she stepped up, received the ball, and very soundly, very solidly made the second one. Victory!!!! We won the championship by 1 point.

The picture above is the team moments later. The tall player in the middle is the one that sunk the two free throws for the final two points.

2 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Rick said...

Wow, Alan! ESPN couldn't have scripted that championship game any better! Congratulations to you and your team!

I stumbled my way here via the comment you left at Sara Holtsman's blog. I've always been a fan of your's over on RA.

Great blog and I love that video from Oprah. I'm not an Oprah fan, but that man is remarkable and I remember seeing his story on Good Morning America. I may steal that for my blog. I hope you don't mind.

Hope you're on the mend!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Thanks Rick.
It was a great game- still thinking back about the excitement.

A friend sent me the "whole video". Evidently this one is only a portion of it. I haven't had time to watch the other one yet but plan to do so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home