Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I could win the funniest home videos if this had been caught on tape.

On Tuesday of this week I was about to leave for work. I had put my bags in the truck and had gone back in to tell Kathy and Glenn bye. We had a bad storm front coming through and when I had been out minutes earlier there were just a few drops of rain starting. When I went back out, it was raining sheets of rain in a heavy downpour the winds were incredible. My yard was flooding. The news said this front was pushing through at 60-65 mph.
As I stood in the garage deciding what to do, I figured I would just make a run for it. Traffic backs up very quickly and with these storms would only be worse so with coffee in hand I took off. I have to walk to the truck in the grass as I park right on the edge of the driveway.
As I got right to the truck and reached for the door handle both feet went right out from under me straight above my head. I landed on the middle of my back and banged my head on the ground. Luckily I was on the wet slippery grass and that added a cushion of sorts- better than concrete I guess.
So after shaking the shock off, I got up and walked back to the garage. When I went inside Kathy started laughing. I don't think I have ever seen her laugh that hard. My clothes were soaked. I had to go undress in the garage becuase my clothes were wet/nasty and covered with grass/mud. Even my undershirt was muddy on the back where I had landed. I was hurting a little but even had to laugh at the whole incident.
The best part of the whole thing- I didn't spill my coffee. Somehow, as I went airborn landed on my back I balanced my coffee cup such that I didn't spill it. YES!!! I love my coffee and I guess it shows!!!!

2 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Rick said...

That is hilarious, Alan! I'm glad you were not hurt and... salvaged the coffee! Way to go!

I have to tell you, back in high school, I had a VERY similar incident happen to me on my FIRST date with my now wife where we were going to a movie at a local town theater with another friend (the third wheel), it was pouring down rain as you described, I had driven, when we got to the theater I, being the kind and polite gentleman that I was back then (HA!) told my date and my friend I was bolting from them to make a break for the covered sidewalk in front of the theater where the ticket window was and they... were on their own. I got out of the car and sprinted to the sidewalk and when I got to the sheltering roof overhang, put on the brakes and promptly came to a bouncing, skidding stop on my behind on the sidewalk. Yea, not the most suave of first dates. I can't believe she dated me and then married me after that! Good sign she was a keeper.

(Sorry for the long comment)

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Welcome Rick!!

That's a funny story!! And she still married you- that's awesome!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home